Thursday, April 12, 2012

Road Trip - Casa De Fruta and SLO

I%26#39;m trying to break-in a new car, so for the upcoming holiday weekend I%26#39;m thinking about a roadtrip! First, on Sarturday I%26#39;ll take PCH north past LAX, through Malibu to the 101. North on 101 to 33. North on 33 through Ojai, then north through the valley (Coalinga) to the 25. North on the 25 to Hollister and Casa De Fruta. On Sunday, I%26#39;ll go west on the 152 to Highway 1. South on 1 to San Luis Obispo, probably the Embassy Suites. Then Monday, back to Los Angeles.

How does that sound? What do you think? Fun?

Any things to look out for? I%26#39;ve never travelled on the 33 or 25. Any points of interest I shouldn%26#39;t miss?

Thanks!

Road Trip - Casa De Fruta and SLO

I like Casa de Fruita for about an hour (they have vegetable store, a tourist store, wine and cheese small shop; etc. If you plan to stay overnight there, please advice. You are pretty much limited to their coffee shop for dinner. There are no events going on there the holiday week-end and stores close by 6. Did you get an exceptionally good rate for the room?

http://www.casadefruta.com/visitus.aspx

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo. If for a family, ok. If by yourself, I would choose another place unless you have a good rate.

I think the trip down the coast if a nice day will be quite fun.

Road Trip - Casa De Fruta and SLO

You%26#39;ll definitely want to check to see if the 33 north of Ojai is currently open. This highway is fairly rural and the recent storm dumped some snow through those mountains.

I%26#39;ve only been on that section of highway once and that was close to 40 years ago! It had been a VERY wet year and there were tree trunks and other debris in the Cuyama River Bed, which was just off the highway.

The highway ends in the Cuyama Valley at Highway 166. If you take 166 east toward Maricopa/Bakersfield, you can make a left turn at Soda Lake Road and drive through the Carrizo Plain %26amp; California Valley, which will end at Highway 58. Take the 58 east to hook back up with the 33 to Coalinga.

This route will by-pass Maricopa %26amp; Taft, unless you may need to stop at one of these towns for gas.


mini,

I%26#39;ll probably be going solo. I%26#39;ve been to Casa De Fruta a couple of times and I just think its kind of a blast. I like all the dried and fresh fruits, candies, nuts, Casa de Choo Choo, Casa De Vino etc. I always find cool gifts there for people. I thought it would be fun to stay at the motel there, but I haven%26#39;t called them yet. I suppose I could stay in Hollister or Gilroy. What do you think?

I thought about the Embassy Suites because I%26#39;ve enjoyed the ones I%26#39;ve stayed at previously and I%26#39;m trying to bulk up on my Hilton Honors points, but if it is all screaming kids and barking dogs, you might be right. Maybe I should look for something else that night.


I would stay at Casa de Fruta before Gilroy or Hollister. The food is decent at the coffee shop there and I agree, the fruit and vegetable store there is really cool. I love their Dried Pineapple here and the Turkish Delight candy. Have fun! :)


You are definitely doing a road trip and should have enough mileage to be able go fast after this trip!

Speaking of fast... 152 west of Casa de Fruta and especially west of Gilroy is a very slow and twisty road with not great scenery. You might want to consider going south on 101 from Gilroy to cross over to Hwy One at 156 instead. This is a well known shortcut to Hwy One and also skips some of the slow part of Hwy One thru the growing fields.

Be curious to hear about the Casa de Fruta hotel. I camped there once more years ago than I want to admit to and it was a great group campsite.


The Embassy Suites in SLO is located at the end of The Promenade, which is a shopping mall with a Gottschalk%26#39;s Department Store, a Staples office supply store, Bed, Bath %26amp; Beyond and a World Market.

There are some restaurants in this complex including Applebee%26#39;s, Tahoe Joe%26#39;s, Hometown Buffet, Taco Bell, McDonald%26#39;s, Starbucks.

The 101 is adjacent to the hotel, so noise might be an issue, but I wouldn%26#39;t worry about screaming kids or barking dogs.

If you want a ';fun'; place to spend the night, then consider The Madonna Inn which has some really ';fun';ky rooms.


Since you know Casa de Fruita - which is fun - its up to you if you want to stay in the motel. Just wanted to let you know it might be real quiet when you are there as things close up by 6. You might want to consider staying close by to the Gilroy Premium Outlets if you like shopping and dining; Comfort Inns there is running a shoppers special. Its right on Highway 152 as well.

comfortinnmorganhill.com/html/outlet-stores-鈥?/a>

or you might want to consider staying along the coast. Have a great trip!


Thanks all for the tips! I can%26#39;t wait to get out on the road.

Kibblesmom - I will check the Caltrans web site to make sure all the roads are open before I leave. Thanks for the reminder. I%26#39;ll take a look at Google maps at the scenic bypass you suggested. I have always thought about staying at the world famous Madonna Inn, but since I%26#39;m solo on this trip, I%26#39;ll save that for a future trip. That seems like an experience best shared with a loved (or at least liked) one.

syrahgirl - I%26#39;ll try that Turkish delight candy! I%26#39;m thinking I might try that pomegranate wine :)

Earth Pal - I only wish in my daily life I could drive like a speed demon, but I commute on LA freeways each weekday, so the though of burning the rubber is just a dream. I%26#39;ll look at the 156 instead of the 152. I think I%26#39;ll want to get to the coast as quick as possible on Sunday, so that%26#39;s a great tip. I%26#39;ll post a review and let you know about my experience at CDF.

mini - Thanks for the heads up about the closing time. I hope to get there before 6 but if not, I%26#39;ll do the CDF experience on Sunday.


Do follow the tip to use 156 instead of 152. 152 is very twisty and there are often accidents there.


Spap - Sounds like a wonderful weekend road trip!

I have been on the 33 from Ventura to Ojai and again from the 166 to Coalinga. 33 is my favorite Central Valley route, as it seems to have an interesting desolation rather than the boring desolation found along truck-clogged I-5. The stretch of 33 from Ojai to the 166 is the mountainous part, so definitely look into local roadway conditions prior to driving this stretch.

I have also driven Highway 25 several times. (I have to take a break from 101 now and then!) 25 is a very pleasant, scenic drive. There are low-lying mountains/hills on both sides for a long stretch. The drive is not too demanding, but there are enough turns to keep you on your toes. Traffic here is light, but not as light as on the 33.

A note on Highway 198, which connects 33 and 25 - This is the hilliest, twistiest part of the inland drive (except for the stretch of the 33 I haven%26#39;t been on). It%26#39;s nothing like Pacific Coast Highway out near Big Sur, but don%26#39;t expect this stretch of road to be a quick drive!

About 152 - I agree with the others about this highway. Especially considering the scenery along the coast and off of the 25, the time and hassle of this road are not worth it. if you really want to see Watsonville for some reason, take 129 instead.

Lastly, as for Casa de Fruta - If you decide not to stay there, keep in mind Hollister ';shuts down'; around the same time. Gilroy does have some evening activities, but not much!

  • pimp myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment