Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wireless Internet Connection in Hotels / Bed & Breakfasts

In the past two weeks, I stayed in four different Bed and Breakfast Inns (changed rooms in two of the Inns) and was not able to get wireless connection for my laptop, even though each Inn insisted wireless service was available.





This was very upsetting because I made my reservations at each Inn, based on Internet Connection so I could keep in touch with work.





Has anyone else had this problem? Are extra charges built into room fees based on wireless availability?





If so, I think we need to send a message to innkeepers about this recurring problem.





My friend says he has the same problems in hotels.





I think they should not advertise the service if they can%26#39;t deliver.





Any thoughts?



Wireless Internet Connection in Hotels / Bed %26amp; Breakfasts


I%26#39;ve never stayed anywhere that advertised wireless and did not provide it. But some places charge while others don%26#39;t. The key words to look for on a website are ';free'; and ';complimentary.'; If they say they provide wireless or Internet connection, that doesn%26#39;t mean that it%26#39;s free unless they state that it is. Most hotels that charge usually charge between $9.99 and $12.99 for a 24-hour period.



Wireless Internet Connection in Hotels / Bed %26amp; Breakfasts


My guess is that a B %26amp; B would not charge for wifi although many hotels do. At a recent stay at a big Sheraton Hotel they had a $10+ charge for wifi in the room, but they offered it free in the lobby area. In some smaller places we visited that offered free wifi, we found the signal was week and did not work in our room, although did work in some areas of the property. I would immediately discuss with hotel management any problems you have with wifi. I believe that some smaller lodgings such as a B %26amp; B use inexpensive home type wifi setups with only one small antenna that may not cover the entire property.




In many places you need a password to get on the WiFi because the network is secured. Did you ask about that? In my experience, unless you indicate that you want to use it, they don%26#39;t necessarily supply this information.




I find you have to pay the $10+ for use in most hotels. When we have stayed in B%26amp;Bs, the free wireless is usually in the downstairs living room, parlor areas. Not so convenient always.




We have stayed in many places that have free WiFi, but, as I said, you need a password to access the secured network.





This prevents just anybody from tapping into it.




We stay in mid-range hotels ($90-$100/night) and always have fast, free wi-fi.



We also spend a lot of time in RV parks, many of which advertise free (or low cost) wi-fi. We have found that the RV park wi-fi may not each all campsites, or may be slow, or sometimes we have to suggest to the office that they ';reset'; it - after which it seems to work fine.



That may have been the problem at the B%26amp;B%26#39;s you visited? Also agree with above that sometimes it%26#39;s only available downstairs in the public areas, and of course a password is usually required.



Wi-fi is still often considered an ';extra'; I believe, rather than a necessity , although is becoming more widespread each year.




We didnt have a single problem in any of the places we stayed. Everyone that said they had free wifi had free wifi. In one place however the signal strength wasnt as good in our room as we where well away from the reception area. However all we needed to do was pop down to the lobby and we had great reception.





Did you check with the inn as to where the best reception was?




The inns mentioned advertised free wireless in all the rooms. There was no problem with passwords because each time I tried to access the internet, the message I received was ';no wireless connection available.';



I was never even able to get to a password (which the innkeeper had given me.)





I think if I had walked around the inns from room to room I probably would have been able to find a signal but my complaint is, they all advertised ';Free wireless in all our rooms.';





It is my opinion they never bothered to check to see if it really worked before they advertised. They probably got the connection in their office and assumed it would work throughout the inn.





I%26#39;ll know better next time. Thanks for all the input!


  • nars
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment