Thursday, April 19, 2012

San Diego - Mexico, Arizona, surrounding areas???

I%26#39;m going to San Diego in April for work, and I%26#39;d like to extend my stay to take advantage of sites, etc. while I%26#39;m on the west coast. What/where are some things to do in Mexico or other neighboring areas in the States? I%26#39;m thinking of resorts, beaches, posh things. Not malls, but once in a lifetime must sees or other experiences. Like specific resorts outside of San Diego that have top of the line accomodations - perhaps in places like Ensenada. I%26#39;m willing to fly or train to close locations. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

San Diego - Mexico, Arizona, surrounding areas???

The Anza Borrego desert is, IMO, definitely a must see place. It%26#39;s a 2 hour drive from San Diego. There is a very nice resort there: The Borrego Ranch Resort: http://www.borregoranchresort.com/

The town of Borrego Springs is small and kindy funky but there are some good restaurants (Carlee%26#39;s, ed Ocatillo) and the resort is *very* nice. It%26#39;s also very relaxing -- there%26#39;s nary a stop light in town!

The visitor center is excellent and there are some wonderful hikes in Borrego. One is up Palm Canyon and begins from the visitor%26#39;s center. You wind up the canyon and go from desert to a palm oasis within the mile walk. Fascinating!

Also some interesting sculptures and being ';planted'; in the desert: http://tinyurl.com/borrego-sculpture

April will be a great time in the desert and possibly wild flower season.

San Diego - Mexico, Arizona, surrounding areas???

The border towns are not posh beach resorts - they are fun to visit, but not posh. Ensenada is interesting to visit for a day and there are day trips from San Diego to Ensenda.

viator.com/tours/鈥736-315015

If you are thinking of Mexico posh resorts, you really need to fly down as far as Cabo San Lucas and then you can get some very nice beach hotels and resorts.

http://www.allaboutcabo.com/

Post on the Mexico forum for more information if interested (i.e. detailed information, up to date answers to your questions, etc.)


You also need to be aware that the border area at this time is under a travel advisory because of the ongoing drug war between the Mexican drug cartels and the Mexican police/army. There have been lots of shootings and kidnappings in the area.


Sorry, There IS a WONDERFUL destination spa in the town of Tecate that I highly recommend. It is safe and posh with villas for rooms and its own organic farm for food.

Here is the web site:

http://www.rancholapuerta.com/

They will pick you up at the San Diego Airport and transport you to their site by bus.

I have been there 3 times-FAB!!


You mentioned Arizona in your subject line

If you want to come to Phoenix we have some beautiful luxury resorts. That%26#39;s pretty much what we%26#39;re all about - tourism. Just let me know and I%26#39;ll be glad to recommend a few.


I agree with Sal that Anza Borrego is a very interesting destination. April may be a little late for wild flowers...I am not sure.

We were in Ensenada last February and I didn%26#39;t really see anything posh there. I would definitely put it on my list.


I%26#39;ll also second Riffsmom on Rancho La Puerta (although I%26#39;ve only been able to go once, drat!). It%26#39;s a fabulous place but I will say it%26#39;s a destination resort; I never left the property.)

I%26#39;d also second those who say that coastal Baja isn%26#39;t the place to be right now.

I%26#39;m still voting for Borrego but that maybe perhaps I haven%26#39;t been there for awhile -- but have plans for later this month and looking forward to it!


Ok posh near San Diego. As already said not Mexico.

So with in a few hours drive there is Laguna Beach a nice beach art colony. Several 4 diamnod resorts. Palm Springs 2 hour drive. Filled with resorts, golf and shopping. I suggest La Quinta Resort ans Spa.

There will be a new Ritz opening in spring in Rancho Mirage.

Mentioned already, Phoenix Az. Full of posh resorts.

Vegas, sort of posh, maybe. For sure nothing else like it. 5 hour drive if lucky with traffic. Hour flight. Several 4 and 5 diamond resorts.

Once in a life time, Grand Canyon. Not posh but really amazing.


Thanks for all of your suggestions. Upon further review, I think I%26#39;ll save Mexico for another time and will concentrate on more areas in the San Diego area. Thanks!

  • difference between vista
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment