Friday, March 30, 2012

Travel Time Via Public Transport from West Ho to Staples?

Me again,





Full of last minute questions.





We have tickets to see a basketball match at the Staples Centre on 7 April at 7;30pm. We are staying at Le Montrose Suites. If we are getting there via bus/public transport and we have to go to the Holiday Inn to pick up our will call tickets first, what time do you estimate we should plan to leave West Hollywood?





I know this is a tricky question, but should we allow say 2 hours, bearing in mind we have no idea what we are doing?





Alternatively do you say forget the bus, just catch a taxi there? Would this be expensive ie: $50? I would hate to run late just to save some money.





Regards



Ally



Travel Time Via Public Transport from West Ho to Staples?


You can look up bus/metro rail routes at





METRO.MET





Enter the starting and ending points at the right side of the home page.





For your question:





The quickest route is as follows:





1. Take the #304 bus from the southeast corner of Santa Monica Bl %26amp; San Vicente Bl (7 minutes%26#39; walk from your hotel). Get off 30 minutes later at the southwest corner of Santa Monica Bl %26amp; Vermont Av.





2. Enter the red line metro rail station there and take the next train ';to Union Station'; (8 minutes) and get off at the ';7th St/Metro Center Station';.





3. Exit the station onto 7th Street. Walk west to the next corner (Figueroa St). Go south on Figueroa to Staples (10 minute walk).





The transfer will take about 1 hour, 15 minutes including waiting time between conveyances. If you have a DAY PASS, it will cost $5 per person (plus the cost of the $2 TAP CARD that you will need to use with the DAY PASS).





A taxi will run about $50 and is subject to traffic delays since you will be traveling during %26#39;rush hours';. In addition to the chance of arriving late, the longer the taxi ride, the higher the fare.







Another way to handle the transfer is to spend some time in Hollywood (near the corner of Hollywood BL and Highland Av -- in central Hollywood) before the game. Then, simply jump on the red line metro rail and get off at 7th St/Metro Center (15 minutes). Then, walk 10 minutes to Staples. Simple!



Travel Time Via Public Transport from West Ho to Staples?


I was hoping you would reply HopSkipJump.





I have been to the metro.net website and done as you suggested but I got confused. I must be a simpleton. I haven%26#39;t caught any public transport in Sydney for about 20 years, so I find it a bit daunting.





Your instructions are perfect. I will print them out and take them with me.





Where would I be without you?





Ally





P.S. You didn%26#39;t reply to my other post re shopping in LA. :( Maybe you aren%26#39;t a shopaholic like me. Seriously, thanks a million for all your advice of the last 6 months. I can%26#39;t promise this will be my last question though!




I know it is just a typo, but there is no #304, It is the #704 rapid santa monica blvd express bus





I would also suggest to maybe head to Hollywood first(just catch the dash bus on Sunset Blvd for 25 cents to Hollywood/Highland)and have some drinks or early dinner as the subway from there will get you to Staples within 20/25 minutes(including transfer to the blue line or just walking from the 7th/metro red line/subway station





If you just want to get there hassle free in one trip, walk from your hotel up to Sunset Blvd and catch the #302 bus that will drop you off at Staples Center (12th/Hill), trip will take one hour




Why do you have to pick-up Will Call tickets at the Holiday Inn? There is a will-call window at the Staples Center. Sorry, just curious because I have never heard of this option...don%26#39;t want to see any tourist being lured to a room at the Holiday Inn for some scam!




I like HSJ%26#39;s plan: #704 %26gt; Red Line. (Alex is right about the typo.) You%26#39;ll enjoy the Red Line. Be sure to check out the cool rock sculptures in the subway station. Cheesy, but great. Alex%26#39;s suggestion to take the Sunset bus is scenic. Sunset east of Hollywood has become quite funky in a very good way in Silverlake and Echo Park





I agree with 2cents. I don%26#39;t see why in this digital age you need to pick up your tickets at the Will-Call at the Holiday Inn.





I%26#39;d give yourself plenty of time. Obviously, you dont%26#39; want to be late. If you have some time to kill, you can always visit the Grammy Museum across the street at L.A. Live.





Let us know how this goes.





HTH




Thanks everyone, and great you picked up on the typo. I think it is a good idea to to to Hollywood/Highland earlier for a bite and then head to the Staples Centre from there.





To answer tracey%26#39;s question, I bought the tickets on ebay and it was going to cost US$35 to have them Fed Ex%26#39;ed to me in Sydney. The seller (who seems reputable and sold over 10,000 items) suggested will call at the Holiday Inn.





I hope this is trustworthy. I know it is always a bit of a gamble buying off ebay, but I like to keep faith in people and hope they do the right thing.





Regards Ally




By the way, you can also take the blue line train one stop from 7th Street Metro Center, which puts you about 1 minute walk away from Staples Center, rather than 10 minutes. But, you%26#39;ll have to pay $1.25 for this brief ride (unless you have the $5 day pass).




IMHO, the transfer to the Blue is not worth the hassle. Unless the connection time is perfect, you%26#39;ll end up waiting during the time you could have walked to Staples. It is only four blocks from 7th to Chick Hearns (i.e. 11th). Particualarly, since you have to walk from Pico (i.e. 13th) two blocks. It is basically a wash.





HTH.




Thanks all who replied. I have copied it all down to take with me.





How do you guys know so much, I mean even bus numbers??? If you asked me about taking a bus in Sydney I would be totally clueless. Thanks to folks like you my holiday plans will run alot smoother.





Ally




I for one love taking the bus and subway, it%26#39;s hassle free, so I enjoy it

No comments:

Post a Comment