Saturday, March 24, 2012

looking for luxury lodging in Mendocino

I am looking for a luxurious place to stay in the Mendocino area. Heritage House would have been my choice for its views, privacy, and comfort, but, of course, it has now closed (sob). Can someone help? My definition of luxury includes privacy, great views, thick walls and cool rooms for sleep, speciousness, good plumbing, and beauty in the design and furnishing of the rooms. I%26#39;m willing to pay for all this.

Did I mention the need for a cool bedroom? This has been the deal breaker for me so many times. I%26#39;ll never forget staying in the lovely, expensive Highlands Inn near Carmel. The place appeared to be the epitome of luxury, but it had no air conditioning and only one tiny openable window in the bedroom. The same thing happened to me at the Wickannish Inn in Tofino. There I was; there was the lovely, icy ocean, and there was that *!# unopenable window between us. What there wasn%26#39;t was air conditioning.

looking for luxury lodging in Mendocino

No first hand knowledge, but this website might help you:

http://www.mendocino.com/lodging.html

The MacCallum Suites looks very nice, and has private decks, ie; the door would open ;-)

looking for luxury lodging in Mendocino

Stay at one of the blissfully comfortable oceanfront suites at Elk Cove Inn and Spa (www.elkcoveinn.com). You%26#39;ll have a sliding door to open as well as a patio or balcony to sit out on and absorb the ocean air, magnificent sunsets and gorgeous views. Here%26#39;s the shortcut link to my TripAdvisor review: http://tinyurl.com/dlsj3d


Wow, Forestvillian, I am ready to get in the car right now. Great report.

kaleberg,

In case that doesn%26#39;t work out, here is another to look at. I have no personal experience with it, but it looks very nice.


Oops, here it is...

http://www.stanfordinn.com/


Thanks, people, I%26#39;m really grateful. I know this sounds like The Princess and the Pea, but one of our party has a health condition that is greatly exacerbated by both heat and a lack of sleep.


www.storres.com funky but nice


Kaleberg,

I don%26#39;t think you need to worry about heat in Mendocino and I am surprised that you found it at the Highlands Inn.

There is little air conditioning on the coast here, either in private houses or hotels.

Perhaps you are speaking of the lack of %26#39;fresh air%26#39;. I have that problem with the sealed-in hotel rooms that DO have air conditioning.

I hope that one of the places recommended to you work out.


Actually, I was surprised, too. When we arrived at the Highlands Inn, it was a warm afternoon. Our room was beautifully furnished, but it was about 90 degrees inside due to the lack of proper ventilation combined with the greenhouse effect of being indoors. There was one tiny openable window, and the only way to get a cross draft was to leave the door open. The whole thing was an exercise in poor design.

Our room at the Wick had almost the same problem. There was a huge window looking out at the sea, but it was fixed. The only openable window was a small square panel that opened out to the balcony. There was no cross ventilation, and the room was just plain stuffy. Outdoors was lovely and cool; it was so frustrating.

I realize that almost no one has air conditioning around Mendocino; I just want a room with big, openable windows that will set up a cross draft.


There are so many great places to stay in or near Mendocino. All of the choices mentioned above would work for you. The Elk Cove Inn is about 20 minutes from the village of Mendocino in a beautiful small town. You can also check out the Harbor House Inn in Elk and a few others...

For a complete list - go to www.gomendo.com. There are plenty of places just 10 minutes north of Mendocino in Fort Bragg as well.


Have a look at the Albion River Inn south of Mendocino. I stayed in several places in the area on my road trip to and from SF a couple years ago and it was my favorite--amazing views and a very comfortable room with a balcony. I didn%26#39;t hear my neighbors at all and I%26#39;m pretty sensitive to between-room noise. You do get the foghorn but I found that just added to the atmosphere and I had no problem sleeping.

Another possibility is the Stanford Inn just south of town--although the views of the ocean are distant since it%26#39;s not right on the water. It%26#39;s stil a pretty view (farm/ranch setting), just not crashing waves like at the Albion. Very comfortable, nicely furnished rooms.

  • cope with divorce
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment