Friday, March 23, 2012

Whale watching in mid- April?

We will be spending the weekend of April 17 in SFO for my friend%26#39;s 30th bday. We were thinking about taking a whale watching cruise. Is this a good time to go?



Whale watching in mid- April?


With just a weekend stay, I wouldn%26#39;t invest so much time in a whale watching cruise. The excursions are pretty much all day as they go quite a ways out (makes me green just to think about).



According the Oceanic Society, there is gray whale migration through the end of April: http://www.oceanicsociety.org/graywhales



I%26#39;d suggest taking a bay cruise or going to Alcatraz instead.



Whale watching in mid- April?


I%26#39;d play it by ear and most importantly what the weather is doing. There are some spectacular days on the water where it is calm. But also some days where you couldn%26#39;t pay me to be out there.





I%26#39;ve been flying in and out of SFO the last 3 days. The pressure gradients were so close that we have had sustained 31 kt winds across the pacific and golden gate area. We are talking serious white caps. Even the freighters were splashing water over the bows. You won%26#39;t see a whale or enjoy it in those conditions.





Yesterday, white caps: 鈥hotobucket.com/albums/鈥MG_0163.jpg









------



Live San Francisco Web Camera



www.SFBayCam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment